It's important to maintain your database of custom fields within Membrain, and ensure that they are named well for proper usage, kept up to date with current information, and old custom fields no longer in use are deleted or archived accordingly.
This is all done by an administrator by going to:
- System Setup
- Scroll down to find Custom Fields
- Select the custom field you want to work with from the list:
Process (covering Prospect, Sales Project, and Account Growth Project) Company, Contact, Activity, Content Hub, or Users.
Process Custom Fields
To make working with Process level custom fields easier, it is possible to sort or filter your custom field list and break them down into subcategories.
Use the quick filters at the top of the page to see custom fields for:
- Only Sales Processes
- Only Prospecting Processes
- Only Account Growth Processes
- Specific Process Name
- Unused Custom Fields
- Choose which TYPE of custom field you would like to see
Company and Contact Custom Fields
You can use Groups to change the layout of your Company and Contact pages, configuring them to suit the information you want to show on these pages.
Add a Group
- From the Company or Contact page, click on the Add Group button on the top left
- Name the new group
- The new group appears at the bottom of the page, with no custom fields under
- Now you can use the handle to the left of both the custom fields and the groups to drag and drop them around the page and position them exactly where you would like them to appear on the Company and Contact pages.
Reposition Custom Fields
If you want to rearrange the positioning of the custom fields on your Company page or Contact page you can do so by dragging and dropping them to where you want them to be, using any groups you have created.
- Click on the handle icon the left of the custom field or the custom field group
- Drag it to where it should be and drop it.
Updating a Custom Field
Keep the options available current and relevant in multi-select and single select lists by updating them, as required.
Perhaps you want to add some additional options to a list, change the name, or even add some Sales Enablement content. Follow these steps below to edit a current custom field.
- Go to System Setup - Custom Fields
- Click on the subheading where the custom field you wish to edit belongs
- Find the Custom field you would like to edit, using the filters mentioned above if necessary
- Click into it and make any changes required.
Change the name or add a description OR
Add some options in multi-select or single-select lists on the left-hand side.
Click Add Row or Add Multiple to paste in a plain text list from notepad or excel
- Click on the Save & Publish Field once you're happy with your updated list
Deleting Custom Fields
To delete a Company or Contact Custom Field locate it in the list.
If a field is not in use in any prospect or sales project, you will see a small x icon on the right-hand side, indicating you can remove it.
Click on the x to choose between two options
- Delete - this deletes the custom field. The field will no longer be visible in Membrain. Any data that may have been captured in the past in this field will also no longer be accessible.
- Archive - this removes the custom field from the list so it is no longer visible in Membrain. However, if you have data captured in this field it will still be saved and visible inside of a specific prospect, sales project, or account growth project, just as before the field was archived.
If the field IS in use in a prospect or sales project, the x will be greyed out. You will need to remove it from all sales projects and prospecting campaigns first, in order to be able to delete it as a custom field.
To learn more about the different types of Custom Fields available in Membrain, read the article Creating Custom Fields.