The ability to mass import activities from another program into Membrain goes a long way in helping you keep all your information in one place and easy to find.
For example, you might want to export tasks, appointments, notes, emails or call details from a previous system and import them into Membrain. This done from the Activities list view in Membrain.
First of all you need to decide if you want to import Tasks or Appointments.
- Tasks in Membrain are activities that have a completed date and time, and sometimes a deadline date and time. So this in fact covers Tasks, Emails sent, Notes and Call details added.
- Appointments in Membrain are simply meetings or scheduled activities in your calendar that span over a duration of time and have a from/to date and time.
The first step is to download this Template Excel Spreadsheet, which has the default columns you need to get started.
Then export your data and copy and paste your information into this spreadsheet under the correct field names.
Once you're happy with your spreadsheet, you can import this file into Membrain. This ensures all your data is aligned and imported into the correct fields within Membrain and your data integrity is maintained.
How its done
Download the Template
- Click on this link to the Template Excel file online, and click Download.
- Save the file locally to begin editing. This creates the empty spreadsheet you will use to organize your data and make it ready for import
Capture your data
- Export the data from your other systems to Excel.
- Populate the template you have just downloaded with the data exported
- Save the file as a XLS (Excel 97/2000/XP/2003) or XLSX (Excel 2007) file.
Import into Membrain
- From CRM - Activities
- Click on the more menu (top right)
- Click on Import Appointments or Tasks (see note details above to help you decide)
- Click on “Upload a file to import” at top of screen and browse to the file you have just created.
- Import Options: Choose to Create a new entry or update an existing entry
- Click Next
- Map the fields by aligning them to their correct names. You will see errors and will be able to work through them in your spreadsheet until you are fully confident that your data is solid and ready to be imported.
- Click import, and you're done!
In order to import Appointments, you must have the following information included in your import data:
- Participant Name - the person that the activity is related to
- Organizer ID - the person who creates the activity
- From Date - the date the appointment begins
- To Date - the date the appointment ends
- Company - the company the participant is related to
Membrain uses certain fields as unique identifiers during the import to avoid creating duplicate records. For Appointments, the fields below are checked for pre-populated data and if found, the record will be skipped/overwritten or you will be asked how to proceed (based on what you have decided at the beginning of the import)
- Participant Name
- From Date
It is important to check the spreadsheet itself for duplicates BEFORE you begin the import, as Membrain will not check for duplicates on the file itself.