Your company details are one of your most fundamental and valued assets when it comes to information. For this reason we've made it as straight-forward as possible to allow you to import all your Company information into Membrain in a few, not so complicated steps.
The first step is to download this Template Excel Spreadsheet, which has the default columns you need to get started.
Once you're happy with your spreadsheet, import this file into Membrain. This ensures all your data is aligned and imported into the correct fields within Membrain and your data integrity is maintained.
Download the Template
- Click on this link to the Template Excel file online, and click Download.
- Save the file locally to begin editing. This creates the empty spreadsheet you will use to organize your data and make it ready for import
Capture your data
- Export the data from your other systems to Excel.
- Populate the template you have just created with the data exported
- Save the file as a XLS (Excel 97/2000/XP/2003) or XLSX (Excel 2007) file.
Import into Membrain
- From CRM - Companies
- Click on the more menu (top right)
- Click on Import
- Click on “Upload a file to import” at top of screen and browse to the file you have just created.
- Import Options: Choose to Create a new entry, update an existing entry or add a label.
- Click Next
- Map the fields by aligning them to their correct names. You will see errors and will be able to work through them in your spreadsheet until you are fully confident that your data is solid and ready to be imported.
- Click import, and you're done!
Membrain uses certain fields as unique identifiers during the import to avoid creating duplicate records. For Companies, the fields below are checked for pre-populated data and if found, the record will be skipped/overwritten or you will be asked how to proceed (based on what you have decided at the beginning of the import)
- External Identifier (if used)
- Homepage (if used)
- Name (required)
Some situations, outlined below can cause problems when importing your data and should be checked before carrying out an import to ensure as clean as possible data is imported.
- Lack of a company name
- Additional tabs in a spreadsheet. This may cause the system to read this as a deflected file and the import will not be possible (highlighted below).