Playbooks in Membrain give you even more power to control and dynamically change your sales processes based on conditions you specify, which are relevant to your business.
For example, say your sales rep discovers your main competitor is also targeting a potential client. With Playbooks configured, you can guide your sales rep through an alternative set of steps in the sales process, ensuring each opportunity is managed with relevance and precision.
Or you come up against an objection in an opportunity that changes its direction and potentially its outcome. Playbooks makes it easy for you to deal with this by automatically changing the steps in the process, to guide you through a different route and ensure you're ahead of the game.
Create a Playbook
For this example, we can create a simple Playbook, and then add some complexity to it for the second part of this article.
First, decide which step you want to make into a Playbook, and map out what additional steps you want to take, based on what information is captured in that step.
For example, lets say you are a software company and you want to record what other systems your client is considering. You already record if the competition is your main competitor "Competitor A" or not so aggressive "Competitor B". But you want your sales reps to send a Comparison Document if the competitor chosen is "Competitor A"
Step by step guide
Administrators create playbooks from the process editor. To do this go to:
- System Setup - Sales Process list and click on the Process you wish to create the playbook in
- First, lets presume that you already have a step in the process that allows you to select from a multiselect list and identify who your competitors are.
- To build the playbook based on what competitor is selected, we will create a new step which will only appear when certain competitors are selected. Click the button at the bottom of the stage where you want to add the step and create the playbook.
- Call the new step "Send comparison document". The step is saved to the process.
You now have 2 steps, the first one to identify the competition, and the second one that we will configure to appear only if a certain competitor is chosen.
- Click back into the step to change the settings to make it a playbook, and click on Add Details/Tools on the right hand side
- Click Playbook Condition.
This is where you chose what must happen in order for this step to dynamically appear in the process.
- Select if you want the new step to be Visible or Hidden by default, based on a certain scenario. This is helpful if you want the step to be visible by default, and only hidden in some scenarios, making playbooks easy to manage.
- Click +Add Condition to start building your scenario for showing or hiding your playbook. For this example we will choose the Competition field.
- From the list of Competitors, select "Competitor A" and see it moves across to the selected box on the right. This is the setting that makes the next step appear when the salesperson selects Competitor A during the sales project
- There are some additional options that allow you to get more specific about when you want the next step to appear. Use the "True If" dropdown option at the top to specify if the step must select Any 2 of all the options, for example.
- Click ok to confirm your choice, and Save the step. You will now see that your step Comparison Document is greyed out in the process, showing you that it is a Playbook step.
Hovering will also show you the steps settings.
- Click save and your simple Playbook is ready!
- At this point you can set the importance of this step (as you would any other step) by adjusting the slider bar and setting which reminder options you would like for this step.
To help you see and keep track of all of your Playbooks in a process, we've created the Playbooks Preview.
When you click on the "Play" button from the top toolbar, you will see all your Playbook steps in your process, with more details appearing below in a new window available for reviewing and editing.
You can then click on each option available and see how things would dynamically change, while in the live process.